Saturday, June 18, 2011

Onions are not always for crying.

One would think it easy to know what to do with a spring onion. But has one ever seen onions as massive as these?


I remember last year debating with certain individuals the part of the onion to use versus discard. Whelp, I am a big believer in using as much as possible -- white AND green parts -- so I knew this would be some serious onion going on in whatever I threw together. Here's the thing about spring onions: sooooo mild and delicious and sweet. I ripped off the scragglies, cleaned the suckers with a veggie brush (which inevitably means allowing the outermost layer to peel off), and chopped -- white AND green parts. I like to cut the green parts straight and then get all slanty with the white parts. I only wish I could add the smell to the Internet. Yummy. And no tears!










The turnips needed peeling and the greens trimming and washing (no spinning). Once the onions started to cook (the smell people! the delicious smell!) and turn translucent, I added a spattering of sweet curry powder and the turnips. Then, as they softened to the point of near completion, I added the greens. Total time in the pan -- less than ten minutes.


Meanwhile, I had asked my husband to bring home some fish. The great thing about cooking fish? Easiest thing imaginable. Easier than a PBJ. Easier than a burger. Easier than onions and turnips. It truly is the safest thing to send Brandon to the store in search of with minimal direction, allowing him to choose, since any fish can be cooked in one of several easy breezy ways. On this particular night, he brought home a fish that was very white. After seasoning with a bit of salt, pepper, lemon juice, and fresh dill from the garden, all it needed was a hint of olive oil with garlic in a pan, then, once the fish was added, a mixture of water and veggie broth for poaching liquid. Again, if only I could capture the smell on the Internet.  Instead, you will need to imagine ....

No comments:

Post a Comment