Saturday, June 18, 2011

CSA Week Three: What in the sam hill will I do with all of this food?

Oh, Karl's Farm. You spoil me.


I knew I was in for it this week when I saw those spring onions peeking out at me over the basket. Or, towering, more like.  This week's share:

  • Kohlrabi
  • Joi Choi
  • Snow peas
  • Spring/green onions
  • Napa cabbage
  • D'Avignon radishes
  • Hakurei turnips
Little did I know that this week would epitomize everything wonderful and tragic about participating in a CSA.

That first night, I tore into the Joi Choi. A bit of research turned up that Joi Choi was a relative of bok choy (shocker) and fell under the category of Chinese cabbage. The leaves had a fairly significant change in thickness from stem to tip, so I knew that cooking these beauties would require some attention on the cutting board. But, really, look at this thing.


This was enough to feed quite a few folks, so good thing I was starving. And in a bit of a time crunch. After chopping, washing in about 4 bowl changes of water, and spinning (those leaves are super delicate), I wanted to stay basic so I could actually taste this bounty. Garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and olive oil to the rescue .... and wow, did this thing change colors as it cooked.





Meanwhile, I had the grill heated up, a sweet potato stabbed with a fork a couple of times getting started in the microwave, and a grass-fed New York strip marinating in a variety of peppers (black pepper, lemon pepper, red pepper, white pepper) with Worcester. I added the steak and the potato to the grill while the leaves cooked down and ended up with a bit of Tuesday heaven.




No comments:

Post a Comment